TrueConf Server is an IP-based, desktop video conferencing software suite developed for organizing multipoint video conferencing sessions via the Internet or LAN/VLAN. Being a single access point for video conferencing, TrueConf Server is required as entry point for centralized control of a certain company video conferencing network. As video conferencing terminals you may use desktop and laptop computers running Microsoft Windows.
The software uses video codecs that surpass the best codecs of Н.264 standard. As a software solution installed on computers, TrueConf Server supports the following video resolutions:
- Standard quality – 480 x 360;
- High quality (HQ) – 640 x 480;
- Enhanced definition (ED) – 864 x 480;
- High definition (HD) – 1080 x 720 (HD 720p).
TrueConf Server combines features of MCU, Gatekeeper/Registrar, Presence Server, Contacts directory, STUN server in one application.
Here are its main functions of the desktop video conferencing software:
- User authorization for participation and creation of video conferences;
- Media stream broadcasting;
- User contact management;
- Call history;
- Displays user information and status (online/offline/busy);
- Media stream routing (conference is held within one server);
- Checks capabilities of client applications;
- Supports relation between remote servers;
- Overcomes network address translation;
- HD video conferencing support;
- Collaborative tools support: slide shows, desktop sharing, video call records, whiteboard.
The Trueconf Server application allows connections not only through LAN, but also through VPN, Firewall and Proxy layers while maintaining your network security. TrueConf Server may use only one TCP port which makes it easier for administrators to operate the server. The TCP port may be both 4307 and standard HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS Proxy ( 80, 443 ). Thereby, TrueConf Server ensures stable connection on unstable and slow bandwidths which helps to hold up to 250 conferences with up to 100 participants.
TrueConf client is a desktop video conferencing application that is used and seen by users of the video conferencing system. It should be generated on TrueConf Server after network settings are set up and distributed among video conferencing system users. Installation consist of two files: config.dat (file that keeps network settings such as server IP and Port for the client applications) and TCSetup.exe (file installer of TrueConf Client application).
In contrast to Multipoint Control Units (MCU) that receive, mix, process and transmit audio and video streams, TrueConf Server simply commute/redirects them. As a result TrueConf Server provides higher quality of received audio and video streams, without specialized or high-performance hardware.